We all know what Toyota can deliver and that was what everyone looked up when the latest Toyota buzz the 2016 Toyota Prius was launched in the glitzy event in Las Vegas and then in the Frankfurt Motor Show. But, the fact is Toyota was a bit parsimonious with the information that they provided in the technical aspects of the vehicle, especially with the Powertrain that was EPA with 55+ mpg. But, keeping their glamour intact in an event in Japan the company went on to reveal a bit more information on the technology that propels the car.
With the launch of the 2016 Toyota Prius, Toyota has been trying its best to improvise every tiny detail of the car. There has not any significant improvement in power, torque, performance, or fuel-economy figures and that is why the drawbacks of the latest one in the tray. But, there are many things that need to be appreciated as this car is quite in the buzz now. The things, Toyota has provided in the 2016 Toyota Prius is enough to get to go places with happy faces. In this content, we will try to figure out some of the details on the engine and other systems of the 2016 Toyota Prius. So, below are the details on Engine, Hybrid System released of the 2016 Toyota Prius.
Must Visit : Top 5 Fastest Cars under $100 000
2016 Toyota Prius Engine salient features
- The design of the engine is brand new.
- The engine displaces about 8 liters.
- The peak thermal capacity of the new engine is about 40 percent.
- For diesel engines, there is a figure higher in thermal
- It is also equipped with large-volume exhaust-gas re-circulation.
- The air flow into the combustion chamber has been better than the previous one.
- Cooling is greatly efficient here in the latest model.
- The internal friction has been reduced in the latest model.
- The oil that has been used in the latest model has low viscosity.
- The2016 Toyota Prius is also equipped with active grille shutters.
Transaxle and Electric Motor
- The 2016 Toyota Prius comes with a more compact motor.
- This results in more efficient in power-to-weight output ratio.
- The internal friction is reduced.
- Earlier 20 percentages of the energy was lost due to mechanical friction and now this has been reduced.
- In the previous version, there was a planetary gear reduction system, but in the latest mode, there is the parallel gear that enables to eliminate more loss.
Must check : Best Affordable Sports Cars 2015
- The conventional hybrid Prius comes with 2 battery packs.
- 1st one is the conventional nickel-metal hydride pack.
- 2nd one is the compact lithium-ion unit.
- Battery capacities are nullified.
- Electric range figures were nullified.
Power Control Unit
- There is the PCU where voltages can be changed according to the different components and handling AC/DC conversions.
- The latest one can be positioned above the transaxle as the unit is more compact.
- It also comes with the loss reduction device.
- The loss reduction device actually eliminates 20% of the previous losses.
- There are many dimensional changes in the 2016 Toyota Prius.
- The stiffer shell has been improved.
- There is now better handling.
- There are many interior and infotainment added into the 2016 Toyota Prius.
These are some of the salient features of the 2016 Toyota Prius. Compared to the previous one, this one is technically sound. The previous one was also a good example of great technology used, but this one is better. There are many things in the engine that is molded to near perfection. There have also been a lot of interior and infotainment details with this one.